A New Year of Pizza

Pizza Club starts the year with a trip down the road to Mendota Heights, to Tommy Chicago’s Pizzeria.  We had the largest turnout for a Pizza Club ever, eighteen hungry souls.  It took a little while to get us seated, seeing as how the whole place sits maybe 65 people– however the staff was very patient for dealing with such a big crowd.  Also, having a bar up front kept some members pacified until we could all get seated.  Seeing as how we were in for some serious Chicago style Pizza, we put in our Pizza orders early, so once tables were secured, it wasn’t long before the masses got their food.

We stuck mostly with the standard deep dish,  although we ordered a couple double crusts, but I wasn’t able to try any of them out.  There was one regular type BBQ chicken pizza that showed up– though our version was doctored up with red onions and green peppers, and that combination turned out really well.  The deep dish itself was stellar,  the crust keeping everything together, a big pile of cheese, toppings, and tomato sauce with big awesome chunks of tomato goodness.  This is serious Pizza though, two pieces, and you’re full– three and you might not make it home.  The pepperoni was good, but the sausage was definitely where it’s at.

In the interest of journalistic integrity, I must admit that the Pizza Club may have been given several sausage deep dish Pizzas pro-gratis, for our patience in getting seated at such a busy time.  This might alter the opinions of some other, less righteous Clubs, fortunately for us, the Tommy Chicago’s Pizza maintained a high level of quality all around, and we were not put into such uncomfortable positions.

Overall, Tommy Chicago’s delivers on its promise, of delicious Chicago style Pizza, and a guy named Tommy.  A good balanced pie, a flaky crust, big chunks of ripe tomatoes, and some great sausage.  We laughed, we ate, we had a discussion about the merits of using cornmeal in Chicago style Pizza crust (Tommy says no thanks to cornmeal to no where, and we agreed).

Something to note– this is the first time someone said to us, “Why didn’t you tell me you were in Pizza Club?”

For the producers of The Today Show: you can call anytime now.

7 comments for “A New Year of Pizza

February 3, 2009 at 9:53 am

We’ve come a long way from hitting up places with no screens on the doors. Now, now we’re living like rock stars.

2. February 3, 2009 at 9:59 am

Maybe it’s time we go back to Skinner’s, for some cheap pitchers, and saurkraut Pizza. A Pizza Club retrospective if you will.

3. Heather
    February 4, 2009 at 10:52 am

The crust on this pizza was definitely my favorite part. And Tommy could probably talk your ear off about pizza! He was rather disappointed that he couldn’t give us more recommendations on what pizza to eat. There was even one type of pizza that we didn’t order; I think Tommy was sad about that, there may have been a tear.

February 5, 2009 at 11:25 am

I think it’s time to cull the group. Battle-royale amongst all of the newbs and part-timers?

5. Kaye
    February 6, 2009 at 5:03 pm

Hello fine Pizza Club!

We met last Saturday for Adro’s birthday when Teresa and I (Erica’s friends) crashed the party… We were offered the opportunity to join said Pizza Club for an outing by Ms. Erica… Would that be okay with everyone else? Please keep us posted!

-Kaye aka future pizza aficionado

6. Carley
    February 9, 2009 at 6:03 pm

Oooo! While I might have had a bit too much to drink that evening, I’m pretty certain I liked both of Erica’s friends… though I don’t even know if I’m officially a “member” or just a tag-along gf who sometimes drinks too much cachaca. Maybe I missed my embossed “You’re In!” letter that shaped like a pizza slice… but I’m sure it was just lost in the mail… :*(

7. jab
    March 23, 2010 at 6:13 pm

I remember when your club stopped by tommy chicagos pizzeria in mendota heights, mn. Anyway, just wanted to let you know a little about tom magnuson, owner, hes a phony. Claims he got his pizza sauce recipes from a old friends italian grandmother. But in fact he got them from a cookbook. As for the dough, its a basic bread recipe, he learned at a 3 day baking lesson at the chicago baking institute. And the worst thing that any restaurant owner could do, is being done!!! He’s bringing in all of his desserts from his sister rita’s own home, yep the apple squares, carrot cake, and chocolate cake. The laws state that no food is to be prepared outside of a certified commercial kitchen. Tom magnuson lost two pizza businesses in the past and is asking to lose one more. Luckily there are 10 other investors in this company, that all have millions of dollars. In which their using tommy chicagos pizzeria as a front for a tax fraud scheme. You might ask how I know all this… Lets just say i’ve ran two of his phony shops. Thanks